|Writing Program Flash|
| || |
|Dec 2, 2010|
|A GP1266 user and an AR168MS VoIP module manufacturer are both asking how they can write the program flash on their devices, I am writing this blog as a simple guide,
all files mentioned here can be downloaded from AR1688 0.49 test software page.
The GP1266 phone with the user can not boot and can not enter safe mode, I must say that it is the first time I heard this kind of problem, usually safe mode will always work.
He planed to remove the program flash, write it on an external programmer and solder it back to the phone. And here are the steps:
1. Download the zipped gp1266_sip_us_049016_all.bin, and write it on an general programmer for MT28F016S5 program flash, solder it back to phone.
If everything is ok, the phone will boot up with MAC address 00-18-1f-00-00-00
2. Download other zipped files gp1266_sip_us_049016.bin, gp1266_sip_us_mac_049016.bin and
gp1266_none_us_049016.bin, change MAC address described here. This step must be done, not only to change the MAC address in settings,
but also to generate the MAC checksum in page0. General programmer can only change MAC address but when checksum failed, user may get error debug message like "hardware check failed"
For the manufacturer, although they can perform the steps above too, step 2 will be too much trouble for quantity production. Instead, we sent them an AR168DS programmer based on AR1688 chip,
which we made specially to write SST39VF1681 and MX29LV160CB program flash. (We also had AR168D programmer for manufacturers with MT28F016S5 flash)
The steps are:
1. Download the zipped ar168ms_sip_us_049016_all.bin
2. Boot up AR168DS programmer, get its IP address, for example 192.168.1.142
3. Use Windows command line "tftp -i 192.168.1.142 put ar168ms_sip_us_049016_all.bin" to write the file into AR168DS, watch UDP debug output for any errors
4. Use a web browser to visit 192.168.1.142, in "IAX2 Protocol" section, find "User Name" and put MAC address like "00-18-1F-01-CB-B0" there, save the settings
5. While power down, put SST39VF1681 or MX29LV160CB program flash into those sockets, it can write as many as 3pcs at a time
6. Try the 2 keys on AR168DS, one is '*' and the other is '#', use key combination "***#" to start the writing
7. Watch closely both LCD display and UDP debug output during the writing process, if anything wrong, go back to step 4, reset MAC and start again.
MX29LV160CB program flash need much longer time on erase, need to be patient. And those sockets on AR168DS are used too many times, usually need clean to ensure a good connection
8. When done, program flash in socket 2 has MAC "00-18-1F-01-CB-B0", in socket 3 has "00-18-1F-01-CB-B1", in socket 4 has "00-18-1F-01-CB-B2", and "User Name" settings is automatically increased to "00-18-1F-01-CB-B3", ready to be used again.
Just go back to step 5 to write another 3pcs
Below is the AR168DS programmer I am using to write this guide.
No comments for this page yet.